A glimpse at being pregnant during a pandemic

Being pregnant during a pandemic was not something I had even imagined possible.  I mean who could’ve known?  How does anyone plan for this?  I have to say after being pregnant a few times this possibility did not even cross my mind!  I’m sure my story is not so different from other pregnant mamas out there right now.


Wearing masks to my OB appointments and my husband not being allowed to come to any of those visits was a big change.  This is what a typical appointment is like now:
-I have my temperature checked at the lobby of the medical building and then I am given a sticker.
-After taking the elevator up to my OB’s office.  I walk up to the door of my OB’s office and there is a sign asking if I had traveled out of the country within the last two weeks, been in contact with anyone Covid 19 positive, or have any symptoms of Covid 19 (listed on the sign).
-The sign also says please wear a mask and use the hand sanitizer next to the sign before entering the office.
-In addition the sign also says to please only enter if you are a patient.
-There are X’s on the floor to line up 6ft apart in front of the check in desk.
-Every few seats in the waiting room are taped off to keep people apart appropriately.

As a military spouse I have been thankful that my husband has been there to meet all of our babies and be a support to me.  In past pregnancies, I have had close calls but he has always traveled back in time for the births.  When my OB told me that my husband may not be allowed to be at the birth of this baby boy it was a huge disappointment.  My OB has given me a few scenarios but we won’t know what guidelines or rules will be in place at the hospital until I go into labor because things are constantly changing.  So until then I’m just hoping and praying my husband will be allowed to stay with me for the delivery of this baby boy.  If you are also pregnant during this pandemic I hope your deliveries go smoothly and your partner can be there for you!

Comments