Make It Yourself! Instant oatmeal packets!

Who knew these were so easy to make yourself?!  I am always on the look out for healthy quick and easy snacks or meals.  I was searching for some make it yourself ideas and stumbled upon this one.  I began searching through different recipes online and liked the one I found on a blog called onegoodthingbyjillee.com.  Her recipe can be found here.  I liked that it was simple and basic without all the extras, that way it could be customized later for whoever in my household was going to heat it up.  Another thing I liked was she suggested using a non dairy creamer to prevent the packets from forming mold.  My friend Joni and I decided to try this out and she picked up the non dairy creamer so we were good to go.  It was really easy!  

What you need:
10 cups of quick oats or good old fashioned oatmeal
2 teaspoons salt
1 c brown sugar
1 c non dairy creamer
24 snack sized bags




What we did:
I only had old fashioned oats so I put 7 c of oats in my food processor and pulsed it 4 times in lieu of buying quick oats.  Transfer that into a large bowl along with salt, sugar and non dairy creamer.
Next, blend 3 cups of oats into powder.
Transfer powdered oats into the large bowl with all the ingredients and mix together.
Measure out 1/2 c for each snack bag.  I ended up with 21 baggies of instant oatmeal.



To make the oatmeal I added 3/4c boiling hot water or 3/4 c cold water and microwaved it for 1 min.  Add any toppings you like (or none if you like it plain like me) and voila!  No pot to clean up at the end.  I love the convenience of these and the portion it cooks up is just right.  



It's really convenient in the morning and the kiddos love the character snack bags.  I'm definitely doing this again!

Comments

Post a Comment