Homemade Tortilla soup

The cold weather season has begun down here in Texas and I was craving a big warm bowl of soup.  Here's a nice and easy recipe for chicken tortilla soup.



Ingredients:
2 cartons chicken broth (500mL each) or about 5 c
1 can diced tomato (rotel if you want to add a little kick)
1 can corn
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
Cubed chicken
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp taco seasoning
Toppings:  corn tortillas, sour cream, avocados, etc


What I did:
To keep it simple I just put everything in my pot and cooked it over medium heat for an hour.  Stir occasionally.  (I used leftover rotisserie chicken that I just made last night). I didn't want the hassle of pureing so this soup isn't thick.  You could take the time and start by sautéing the onions, add the seasoning and then all the liquids to make it even better.


I sliced up some corn tortillas and laid them out on my silpat mat.  Sprayed them with a little cooking oil and popped them into the oven at 350f for 3 mins.  Flipped them over and cooked them another 3 mins and they were done.  Quick and easy homemade tortilla strips!
  

Top it off with a dollop of sour cream, homemade tortilla strips and chunks of fresh avocado and this soup hits the spot!  

Hope you enjoy!

Comments