Make It Yourself! Whole wheat bread


I decided to give bread making a try.  I've been trying to think of things that may be better homemade and bread was one of the items on my list.  I found this recipe from the blog Jenny can cook or click here.  Her recipe is by far the easiest and simplest that I've seen from searching online.  But best of all it's worked the three times I've tried it!  She also has a you tube video so you can follow step by step and see exactly how everything should look.

Here's her recipe:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup bread flour or all purpose flour (I used all purpose)
2 teaspoons or 1 packet of instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup 1% milk heated to 120f for instant yeast (I used 2% and microwaved it for 45 seconds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg (room temperature)
*1/4 cup additional all purpose flour if needed 

Instructions:
In mixing bowl add in flour, yeast, sugar and salt

Stir in milk then add in oil and egg

Beat on high for 2 minutes

Switch to low speed and add 1/4 bread or all purpose flour slowly until dough forms a mass

Remove dough and place on floured surface to knead 50 turns


Cover and let rest 10 minutes

Shape dough into greased bread loaf pan


Cover and let rise in a warm spot until 1" taller than bread loaf pan (about 35 minutes)
*Since its cold here on the east coast I warm my oven to 100f then turn it off and place the covered bread loaf in to rise.  For me it take about 40-45 minutes.  

Bake at 375f for 30 minutes (after 15 minutes cover loaf with foil tent to prevent over browning)


That's it!  Super simple but delicious homemade whole wheat bread! I've made a fresh loaf on Sunday for the past three weeks and each loaf lasts us the week.  I leave it wrapped in foil on the counter and just slice what I need to make their lunches.  My husband and kiddos love it.  I like knowing what's in it and that I was able to bake something they enjoy.



Comments