Diy wooden growth chart

Here is another pottery barn knock off ..... Or another pottery barn inspired DIY project!



We have a paper growth chart in my daughters room but it is starting to fall apart after our many moves!  I saw this wooden growth chart on the pottery barn kids website and loved it but with the hefty price tag of $99, I figured I could make one myself.   

My husband picked up a wooden fence post from lowes.  It was perfect since it was only $2.50 and measured about 6" wide by 6.5' tall.  

I cut off the top to make it square and then sanded it all over.  Then I stained it with min wax red oak (215) and left it to dry overnight.


This is how to I made it and how you can make your own!

Using my computer I printed out large numbers 1 - 6 and cut them out to create my own stencils.  I took my measuring tape and started at 6" to mark the 1', 6" and 1" increments along the whole board.

Using white paint and a sponge brush I stenciled in the numbers 1 - 6 at each 1' mark.  Next taking a small brush I drew a small line at the 6" marks and finally an even smaller line to mark each 1".

Now I need to hang it 6" off the ground and start recording!  I've saved all my kids doctors visit papers so my next step is to mark, date, and write each of their names next to their corresponding heights.  My goal is to keep it up throughout the years.  

For $2.50 (or a bit extra if you don't have stain, sandpaper or paint on hand) it's definitely more reasonable/affordable than the pottery barn $99 price tag!  I love it since we have 3 kids and all of their heights can be recorded on this one beautiful wooden growth chart.  I also think this will make an inexpensive yet meaningful baby shower gift!

Comments